Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Can Politics Bring Out the Worst in People?

Linda Housekeeper, a member of the Republican State Central Committee, called me yesterday with some questions about the C&B (Constitution & Bylaws) Committee on which I serve. I thoroughly enjoyed talking with her!

We strongly disagree on the ex officio delegate issue - I hope to write more on this later - but we agree on so many other issues. I really appreciated how she allowed me uninterrupted time and space to share what I felt about changes needed in our party. Then she shared with me some of the experiences she's been through that understandably affects how she perceives current events and leaders. If your house has been maliciously set on fire several times, it makes sense that you get kind of jumpy when you smell smoke - even if that smoke only comes from some burnt toast. I really could get on my soapbox about this and go on & on ... but no one would want to read it all. But I do want to share some of the thoughts in my head on this topic.

In my experience, politics can (and often does) bring out the worst in people. The political arena of course tends to attract those who think too highly of themselves and seek power for an ego trip or to get away with unethical behavior. I'm reminded of Richard Culbertson who ran for Eagle Mountain Mayor two years ago to raise a smokescreen for his overtly illegal activities - which campaign failed miserably by the way.

On the other hand, I've also witnessed formerly kind, respectable people involved in manipulating, withholding information, acting very discourteously, etc., all in the name of getting a victory for their ideas at the expense of the "other team". A few years ago I was surprised to learn that a friend of mine had been very active in our city politics before I had moved out here. At the time I knew her, she had sworn off of political involvement because, in her words, it brought out a monster in her and she didn't like what she was becoming. In her mind, the only solution was to stop getting involved completely. Oh, how sad!

See, just like my friend, I don't think most people who get involved in politics are essentially "evil" or intentionally want to lie and cheat, etc. But I think the general coursening of society has decreased our collective abilities to govern ourselves in decent and respectful ways. We have collectively lost the ability to say "Help me understand where you're coming from. I may not agree with you, and you may not agree with me, but I respect your right to see this issue differently. Maybe by understanding each other we can find an even better solution. If not, I'll do my best to share my ideas with the governing body and then respect whatever decision the majority chooses to make."

Instead, we draw up sides and have to win victories against "the other team". We polarize and save face, we can't admit when the "other side" has a very reasonable and good point. We are encouraged to speak before thinking. Morning shows and talk radio often seem to thrive on people who can cut down the "other side" in witty ways. We start fighting over little molehills and technical details. Little wonder our society turns to lawyers to solve conflicts. Every issue produces "winners" and "losers", with the losing side vowing to continue their fight till their side prevails (think about the recent Proposition 8 in California).

Okay, this post is long enough - too long maybe. But, my eternally optimistic side sees this whole conundrum through a different lens: If politics can and does bring out the worst in many people, then it can also - and does - bring out the best in many people. I hope that's the case with me!

1 comment:

Thomas Rasmussen said...

Ahh, it was refreshing to read your post. You make a very good point here and I hope more people are able to take it in. We need to be able to discuss more with real give and take listening.