Monday, September 28, 2009

Why I Dislike Direct Democracy - Part 1

What is direct democracy? Why do I talk about it now? Why do I dislike it?

1) Direct Democracy Defined:

"A form of democracy in which the people as a whole make direct decisions, rather than have those decisions made for them by elected representatives. Example: A referendum is a form of direct democracy, as is the practice of recall, by which an elected official may be voted out of office between elections if enough people sign a petition to remove him and then win the subsequent vote."

(Direct democracy. Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com's 21st Century Lexicon. Dictionary.com, LLC. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/direct democracy (accessed: September 28, 2009).


2) Why talk about it now?

You may or may not have heard about the "Government Ethics Reform Initiative" that was officially submitted August 12th to the Lt. Governor's Office. See the following story:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/print/705325882/Latest-Utah-initiative-ethics-in-government.html


I feel like I've done nothing but study this initiative this past week. I've read through all 21 pages at least twice, highlighted questions, started mapping out a timeline, visited the only "official" open house on this initiative for the Summit, Wasatch, and Utah Counties (last Wednesday night at the Provo City Library), attended an information meeting on Saturday in Orem hosted by the Republican Leg. 59 Chair, and participated in several emails back and forth between my political friends.

So, this topic is definitely on my mind right now.

3) Why do I dislike it?

Well, I'll write more about this tomorrow because my blogging time is up. How's that for a teaser? Till tomorrow then!

No comments: