Tuesday, September 1, 2009

You Can Teach Correct Principles of Government

In 2005, Eagle Mountain City Council & Mayoral Elections focused on the Full-time vs. Part-time Mayor issue. I stood strongly in favor of a full-time mayor. David Lifferth, a candidate for the City Council at the time, was distributing a campaign flyer listing over 20 reasons for supporting a full-time mayor. He included many good arguments, but some of his statements were confusing for those who had not lived in our city for several years. I asked him if I could use some of his arguments but write my own opinion paper. So much misinformation was circulating around our city that I wanted to address this issue publicly. A friend and neighbor, Doug Cannon, helped me publish this document in our local newspaper shortly before the municipal election.

I have heard rumblings that this same issue is resurfacing in this year's mayoral race. Perhaps these ideas I wrote about four years ago may still be of value for our city. Fortunately, Doug posted my article on his website: You Can Teach Correct Principles of Government.

Doug has updated this page to include more information and research on "criminal negligence". When I have a chance to read his comments, I'll update this blog post.

I truly believe that the success Eagle Mountain has experienced over the last 2 years is a combination of a city government structured upon correct principles and individuals who rise to the best in themselves to lead our city according to correct principles. A good government structure means nothing if the city leaders lack integrity and an ability to work together with others of differing opinions. Likewise, good and wise leaders will continue to struggle if the government structure is flawed.

I'm grateful for these lessons I have learned first-hand. I am grateful for friends who also believe in government based upon correct principles. I hope and pray that God will continue to bless our little but growing city so that our citizens and especially our children can grow and learn in an atmosphere of peace and prosperity.

[Note: The Doug Cannon mentioned in this article is not the same person who currently serves on the Constitution & Bylaws Committee in the Utah County Republican Party. The Doug Cannon I am referring to lived in Eagle Mountain City for many years until he moved to Provo in 2006 or 2007 to pursue a law degree.]

No comments: